Re: Sendmail and fetchmail problem

On Sep 15, staf wagemakers (staf@digibel.org) wrote:
 > On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 02:14:49PM -0400, John Ackermann wrote:
 > > In message <[🔎] 20000914194158.A1952@digibel.org>, staf wagemakers writes:
 > >
 > > >You could add the next line to your /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
 > > >
 > > >FEATURE(accept_unresolvable_domains)
 > >
 > > I regularly see "domain must resolve" messages in my logs, usually from
 > > random sites Out There.  Is there a significant security/spam risk in
 > > accepting unresolvable domains?  I have the antispam stuff (no relaying,
 > > etc.) turned on in my sendmail.mc already.
 >
 > Normally you don't want to accept mail from non-valid domains, all from
 > addresses should have a valid internet address. I don't think your mailserver
 > get a open relay by enabling this "feature" but I wouldn't use it on a
 > mailserver that is connected to the internet.
 >
 > You can't reply to message because it comes from a non-existing domain, so
 > why would you waste time to read it :)

I agree with all of the above, but have an answer to the last question
:-) If you are retrieving mail from your ISP via fetchmail and
sendmail, presumably the domains were resolved by your ISP's MTA.  So,
why bother resolving them again?  I get mail this way on my laptop,
and I don't want to have some message not delivered to my laptop
because the sender's domain temporarily cannot resolve.

--
Neil L. Roeth
neil@occamsrazor.net