Problem with woody and 2.4.0-test*

I run Debian Woody on my system, and have been using 2.4.0-test kernels since test1, with devfs.
The problem I've been having is that I can only open around three or four ptys (terminal windows, screen sessions, etc) before I get an error like 'Could not open /dev/pts/3 - permission denied'. If I open a terminal as root, I get another two or three ptys before I get the error again.
The permissions on /dev/ptmx are 666(root:tty), those on /dev/pts are 755(root:root), and I'm running the latest devfsd.
Any advice?

--
-teferi
<Adam Glasgall>