Debian 2.2

Dear Sir,

This is the first time I am trying out Debian and I am having alot of problem. I have tried all the other Linux distributions except Debian and I am not very happy about them.

I don't have any problems at all installing all the other Linux distributions except Debian.

 My Debian 2.2 comes in a magazine calls LINUX Magazine France Special Edition.It has 4 CDs. I realised that the NON U.S and the N° 1 CD are exactly the same.

I have tried installing it since Friday and today is Sunday evening and I can only get this far:

hdc:tray open
end request:I/O error,dev 16:00(hdc) secteur 31032
dpkg. split : error reading/cdrom/dists/potato/31036/main/binary-i386/editions/jed-cann a_0.98.1.jo55-2

dab:Input/Output error

dpkg:error processing/cdrom/dists/potato/main/binary--i386/editors/jed-cann a_0.98.7.j055-2.deb

subprocess dplg-split returned error exit status 2

Errors were encountered while processing

/cdrom/dists/potato/main-i386/text_1.0.990914-1deb
/cdrom/dists/potato/main-i386/libs/jed_common-jan_0.98.7.jo55.2deb
/cdrom/dists/potato/main-i386/editors/  etc........
/cdrom/dists/potato/main-i386/editors etc.........

E: Subprocess/usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Some errors occured while unpacking. I am going to configure the packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors above this message are important.Please fix them and run Install again.

Press enter to continue.

When I press enter to continue I'll just end up in a text mode without configuring the mouse,monitor,printer and the sound card. An I can't do very much with it.

There is no way I'll be able to get the graphic mode because it just cannot detect XF86 or XF86Setup or XF86Config nor startx.

Could you please give me some detailed advice?

Thanks

Solfa.