elvis is alive, but buggy...

this happened to me back on slink, and now that
i've just updated to a clean potato with a new
set of apt-get this and that, it's happened again.

elvis (elvisnox) works reasonably well, except
for `crontab -e`, which detects a nonzero status on
exit, which interferes with the saving of the
crontab file.

i snooped around my old email posts and finally
found the solution:

/etc/elvis/elvis.ini

<snip>
		if gui=="termcap"
		then if term=="xterm"
		 then {
<snip>
		  map! ESCOo /
		  map! ESCOM
		  map! ^? visual x
<snip>
		}

the mapping 'ESCOM' has no 'rhs' i.e. no
matching "right-hand side". probably some
text filter saw '^M' there and interpreted
it as a literal carriage-return.

i believe that line in elvis.ini should
instead look like this, with a 'carat, em':
	  map! ESCOM ^M
(but i could be wrong)

with that change, now even crontab is happy.

should i file a bug? (if it's with the apt-decompression
routines, it'd be a different target than if it's in
the elvis source files... how can i tell?)