RE: advanced power management and linux?

Got two heat sinks, black metal with fins, about 4cm x 10 cm x
3 cm. Slapped them on the original heatsinks with some white
heatsink compound (aka thermal grease, I think) in between.
They are hot but not too hot to touch, yet. Good news, my
local computer store sez the P/S fan does nothing in the way
of cooling the remaining components, so I'm off the hook there
(note the P/S is no longer inside the case). I suspected this
(also a hot P/S can't help to cool the case that much even if
it has a fan) but it wasn't obvious.. was it?
Now I'm wondering if the P/S gets significantly hotter when
the machine is working hard (hdd drawing power, cpu drawing
lots of power, etc.) then when it's suspended. In which case I
could maybe put a switch in the fan circuit and turn it off
manually when I suspend the machine, leaving the fan on the
rest of the time. Linux ACPI drivers can't do this yet
(microsoft ones can). Unless someone has some experimental
acpi code they can donate for doing this. Hm, maybe a
hacking project for me.. Then again, maybe the P/S appreciates
being left on all the time and it's better not to power it off
(or almost off) on suspend? Too many variables..
-chris