Re: can anyone explain why ??

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 05:27:14PM +1100, Simeon Simes wrote:
> When I'm ripping a CD with cdparanoia my dialup ppp connection doesn't work.  I don't seem to be able to transfer at all.  The link stays up but no or very little
>  data  seems to be able to flow.  But if I stop cdparanoia everthing is fine.
> This is on a debian woody system running 2.2.17 kernel

exactly the same problem with my brother's dial-up.
my guess is, that the cdrom driver has some ugly kernel lock, which blocks
everything else while data is read from the cdrom.
the problem can be worked around by letting cdparanoia read data in
small chunks. i achived this by piping it's output through a named pipe
directly into an mp3 encoder (anybody wants my script?).
if you want only ripping, then something like this might be a workaround:
(this is untested!)

dev=/dev/cdrom	#adjust!
for trk in `list_audio_tracks -D "$dev"|cut -f1`; do
    cdparanoina -q -d $dev $trk - | while dd count=128; do sleep 1; done >$i.wav
done

adjust the count= to something reasonable (i have no verified value; the 128
gives 64k, which is the buffer size of a pipe (afaik)).
note, that this will be slooow, but should not interfere with the modem
_too_ much.

hth

Real programmers don't comment their code.
It was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
--
Become part of the world's biggest computer cluster -
join http://www.distributed.net/