Re: using sudo (was Re: bash login for root)

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 04:38:11PM -0800, Ethan Benson (erbenson@alaska.net) wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 03:47:48PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >
> > But you've got zero control of commands available, and no logging of
> > what commands are being run as root.
>
> true, but this goes back to my original comment that allowing a user
> account to run anything as sudo does nothing but turn it into another
> root account, if you want the granularity, loging and control you
> mention you have to take GREAT care in what you let a `sudoer' do,
> otherwise he can just run `sudo bash' and there goes your loging, and
> granularity right there.  or something more insidious like this:
>
> sudo emacs
> M-x shell
>
> the same works with vi and loads of other editors.

I'm aware of these limitations.  You've got to work out acceptible
policies and risks while providing the tools to get the job done.  The
problem I've had with direct root access is that users come on as root
from....some random IP (say, a dialup connection), and your accounting
goes all to shit.

With just a couple of users on a box (typical of servers I'm running),
it's pretty straightforward to check to see who's doing a bunch of "sudo
vi"s or "sudo bash"s (and you'll find my name in both sets of greps).
The question is whether or not the servers are getting fscked up in the
process.

Basically, it comes down to a matter of trust -- do you trust your
people or don't you.  The mix of sudo and full shell access means you
can restrict access (barring gross malfeasance), but also track, at
least to a resonable level of detail, what's going on.  root's own
.bash_history file is another useful resource, and when it turns up
unexpectedly truncated, there are other issues at hand.  Logging (root
commands, logs, etc.) to a third-party box with write-once, persistant
media is yet another option.

It's easy to cover up tracks.  It's a bit harder to cover up covering up
tracks.

> > Without the granularity of control by user and command, and logging.
>
> yes but see above.  (i think we are talking about different things, i
> am talking about giving another admin full root privileges, where your
> talking about giving a admin or assistent just very partial restricted
> access)

We're only talking partial cross-purposes.  I'm looking for a tool to
let me know at least when my admins are going full admin privileges, and
possibly to offer limited administrative powers to more restricted
users.  I'm finding that the combination of prohibited root logins and
sudo gives me more control than direct root logins and su.  Though su is
still used.  Hmmm...  Any way to prohibit su to root, I wonder.  I think
so, have to look into it.

Got any ideas for systems allowing for both a fine-grained level of
control *and* reasonable and flexibility for admins?

Also, as this started off as a Debian thread somewhere/somehow, do you
have any suggestions for auditing a box through dpkg / apt, including
verification of packages (including checksum or signature tests where
possible), detecting binaries *not* associated with packages, and/or
possibly reinstalling a package over an existing instance?  I believe
RPM has at least some of these capabilities, not sure that DEBs do.