Re: suid root

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 10:18:37PM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
> If this machine is in your home *and* your internet connection is via
> intermittent dial-up with dynamic IP adressing, I say no big deal.

> If you have persistant internet connection (via LAN, xDSL, Cable) your
> risk goes way up.

Quite true.

> In order for this "security hole" to be exploited someone needs to
> have shell access to your machine (by remote exploit or sniffing user
> passwords from telnet, pop, and othe rplain text methods).

Just how bad is it to fetch mails from a POP3 account right
'through' the Internet?
(By that I mean having Inet connectivity at some (cable) provider
and polling a mail account at some other provider, therefore passing
various routers / gateways along the way)

Regards
Sven
--
"We will run this with the same kind of openness we have run Windows,"
                 Steve Ballmer on their .net service