RE: understanding dselect

On 15-Sep-2000 Michael Soulier wrote:

>     qqqqqqq Obsolete/local Optional packages in section libs qqqqqqq
>  *** Opt libs     libgwrapguil 0.9.1-1     <none>
>  *** Opt libs     libjpegg6a   6a-12       <none>
>  *** Opt libs     libnspr4     M16-1       <none>
>  *-- Opt libs     libqt2.1     2.1.1-0     <none>
>  *** Opt libs     tcl8.3       8.3.1-1     <none>
>  *** Opt libs     tk8.3        8.3.1-1     <none>
>
>       First of all, how do I read the above? Why is it that these
> packages are considered obsolete? Or is it just that they're local?

it is marked obsolete because it is not in a Debian archive somewhere.

>       I see that it's marked libqt2.1 for removal automatically. I take
> it that means that if I hit enter and install, it will remove this
> package?

yes, the new qt2.2 packages replace 2.1.

>       Why this default selection of packages? What if I just want
> dselect to explicitely do what it's told and not perform these automatic
> selections for upgrade and removal?

unfortunately, dselect does everything or nothing.

That said, shift-R 'reverts' the selection, removing any dselect suggested
changes.

The help has a few more just options.

Or, run dselect as a user, find what you want, and then use apt-get.  Also,
consider trying console-apt from woody.  It is intended to be a replacement for
dselect.