Re: nfsd shutdown problems

brendon@brendon.com wrote:

> When I reboot my system (typing reboot), it hangs right when NFS starts
> to shutdown.
> The message where it hangs is below.
>
> "Unexporting directories for NFS kernel daemon"
>
> My kern.log file has:
> Sep 13 17:20:28 viper kernel: nfsd: terminating on signal 2
> Sep 13 17:20:28 viper last message repeated 7 times
> Sep 13 17:22:08 viper kernel: portmap: server localhost not responding,
> timed out
> Sep 13 17:22:08 viper kernel: rpciod: active tasks at shutdown?!
> Sep 13 17:23:30 viper kernel: Kernel logging (proc) stopped.
> Sep 13 17:23:30 viper kernel: Kernel log daemon terminating.
>
> I'm running version:
> nfs-kernel-server .2-1
> nfs-common .2-1
>
> Anyone run into this or have a clue?
> Thanks,
> Brendon
>
> --

That would happen to me sometimes if I still had a nfs partition mounted
on a different computer(havent looked in the logs thought).
You might check that.

BTW if you hard mounted the partition you can't get rid of it(on the
other system) w/o turning the server back on.  This is a real pain
because bash will hang if it has to read the directory for command
completion! (I hung all 6 ttys once)

Jim