mounting over NFS not posible !

Hi everbody!.

When I try to mount a remote directory over NFS, I get an error messege
something like this :" mountd no registered to rpc" (not exactly but like
that).

I have previously run portmap, "rpc.nfsd" and "rpc.mountd", with no errors,
I also chequed the /etc/rpc file and it seems ok (mountd is in it, with a
corresponding port number,...).

What is the difference between "kernel-nfs" (as setup while recompiling the
kernel) and non kernel NFS?.
If I have kernel-nfs do I not need rpc.nfsd ?.

To mount a remote dir (on a client side) do I need rpc.nfsd running? or is
that only to export the file system?.

Sorry to accumulate so many questions!, but I would like to get it clear,
since the man pages don`t throw much light on these aspects (yes, I have
read the man pages, but they only seem to tell you how to configure each
thiny, but not when to use them and in conjunction with whom!).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Best regards to all, Mark.

Mark Sanchez
a1013@dis.ulpgc.es, mr_jimmybob@yahoo.com.

Unable to mount root file system, Kernel Picnic, try again later (after
lunch maybe;)