Re: corruption during power loss

Michael Soulier wrote:
<snip>
> problems easily fixed by fsck without manual control necessary. I noticed
> the entries in /etc/inittab for powerloss, but the script it's pointing to
> for me is not installed, so it's not that, although I'd like to know what
> this /etc/init.d/powerfail script is.

IIRC that's for those with a UPS connected.  The UPS can notify the system
that the power has failed - usually via the serial port, I believe.  Once
the system has been notified, the system can respond by running the script
pointed to in the powerfail entry in the /etc/inittab There's probably a lot
more detail to it than that, but that's the basics.  There's some more
information in the man page for inittab.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.