Re: Redhat faster than Debian??

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 11:49:13PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:

:I started emacs for first time and appered instantaneously... In
:Debian it tooks a while to load a lot of files. Any pointers to this?

my *guess* is that (your) Debian has alot more site-lisp packages
installed that take time to load at startup.

:Another thing is about X and Gnome; their startup is faster than in
:Debian, and Gnome is using Enlightenment in RedHat and in Debian I'm
:using WindowMaker... Why this difference?

Far too many variables far too little time, but if you have alot of
cruft in /etc/X11/XF86Setup (like invalid video modes that are
attempted then dumped), this may be the culprit.