missing fonts in X

Hi,

I have just upgraded my debian system from 2.2 test-cycle 1 to 2.2 final release.  I have encountered a small problem.  X refuses to load now, complaining that it cannot find it's default font, `fixed'.  I am using xfs, and when I run fslsfonts all the fonts are listed there, including the said font.  I have checked my XF86Config, and my xfs/config, I have run mkfontdir in all my font directories.  Any ideas?

Patrick

PS can you cc any replies to me, as I cannot subscribe to this list due to badwidth constraints.
--
patch@dominoid.net   ---   http://www.dominoid.net