Re: bash login for root

----------
>From: Julio Merino <jmmv@mail.com>
>>
>> You caught me!  What I meant was that Bash looks for .profile in /root
>> instead of .bash_profile as with normal users.  Yes, I'm well aware
>> /root is the home directory for the 'root' user.  Doh!
>
>Ooops. True. Why does bash difference this files ?

It doesn't.  If I create /root/.bash_profile, bash uses
it.  BUT root then gets a user path, not the special
root path.

Now, on my RH machine, I have this in .bash_profile:

PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
export PATH

This works fine and I get the root path (all the sbins etc.)
plus /root/bin.  If I do the same thing on Debian,  I get
the user path plus /root/bin.  This is what perplexes me.

--

Bruce