Re: bash login for root

>From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net>
>
>actually i think bash looks for ~/.profile first and ~/.bash_profile
>last.  and iirc only uses one, not both.

Not according to the man page:

       Login shells:
         On login (subject to the -noprofile option):
               if /etc/profile exists, source it.

               if ~/.bash_profile exists, source it,
                 else if ~/.bash_login exists, source it,
                   else if ~/.profile exists, source it.

My work box (Red Hat) happily uses .bash_profile
but my home box (Debian) doesn't - I'll
check my home box tonight.

Thought occurs:  maybe Debian has /bin/sh
for Root and not /bin/bash.  When called as
sh, bash only does /etc/profile and ~/.profile

--

Bruce