Re: bash login for root

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 08:07:46PM -0700, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net> writes:
>
> > I don't log in as root very often, but never had any problems having a
> > .bash_profile in /root.
>
> OK sounds like  you're telling us something here.  You're on the list,
> so obviously  you tweak  your debian  box from time  to time.  But you
> don't log in as  root very often. How do you do  it?? I'm logged in to
> xdm as me but I've got a root xterm going about half the time..

when i was setting up my box i had a root shell suspended somewhere nearly
all the time. not good security, but until i gained confidence that it
was running the way i wanted, i needed root access to munge this here
and frob that there.

these days, i only have a root shell running 40% of the time.

:)

most of your 'use-the-computer' work otta be done in a user shell.
use root only for system maintenance and updates!