Re: sendmail: Domain must resolve

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 11:10:20AM -0700, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> e-mail account. After changing  the hostname, I'm getting "Domain must
> resolve" errors from sendmail (formatted strangely here to fit 70 cols):
<snip>
> relay=smtp.cs.ubc.ca.  [142.103.6.52],  dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred:  451
> <root@mi.crdva1.bc.wave.home.com>... Domain must resolve
>
> Also, it  looks like the  mails in question  are not showing up  in my
> mailbox.  So I  guess my  question is,  is there  a sendmail  flag for
> stifling the DNS lookup, and what is the debian-correct way to set it?

If you send mail to an internet mailserver your domainname in the from address
must resolve. So the easiest solution is to change the from address in your
script. This is possible with the -f option.

# echo "hello there" | sendmail -fyou@your.domain email@address.domain

An otherway is to masquerade your hostname with a existing domainname. This
can be done by adding the next lines to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc and rebuild
sendmail.cf.

MASQUERADE_AS(`newdomain.name')
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`your_host_name')
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)