[no subject]

hey

i have been trying to get 2.2 (i386) working with
rogers @home cable modem service. the problem that i
keep encountering is that i can only get on-line when i
am using a NIC that has been used with the cable modem
in windows. if the card is used elsewhere or the cable
modem is used with another card then i get the
following results:

-eth0 configured correctly with all the static info i
put in correct (ip, gateway, netmask etc.) and correct
driver
-when i try to ping an ip (my gateway or any other
active ip) i can see the send and receive lights on the
cable modem active, but i get 100% packet lose

my assumption under this situation is that the ping
gets out and back in to the modem (hense the send AND
receive lights) but doesn't actually make it to my
machine.

i have tried this set up with 3 separate computers and
5 different NICs (SMC, dlink, 3c900b, 2 sohoware) but
all have the same results.

i have tried to "power cycle" the modem but that did
not work as well.

i'm stumped. does anybody know anything about how i can
get around this?