Re: Deleted /dev/hda (MBR)

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 04:39:24PM +0100, Dominik Bittl wrote:

> I deleted /dev/hda as root and now i cant boot anymore (without
> disc) !!

eh, what do you mean? have you deleted the _device file_ '/dev/hda'?
then, i could imagine, that there's no (big) data loss.
these device files are the interfaces between the device drivers and
the real hardware. they _represent_ the hardware. so, you have deleted
this interface, not the data on it.

> I tried to mkdir /dev/hda but it doesnt work with lilo !! My NT is still
> working.

mkdir /dev/hda? /dev/hda shouldn't be a directory, it should be a
(block) device file.

> What can i do ??

if i am right, and you really have only deleted this device file, then
you could try the following: boot a GNU/Linux system. if you don't
have another working one on your harddisk, get a one of those
floppy-distributions. for example 'Toms RtBt' from
http://www.toms.net. then, mount your root partition, and recreate
/dev/hda. if your rescue system, has the MAKEDEV script, use this. if
not, use mknod. /dev/hda is a block device, with the major number 3
and minor number 0. so, 'mknod /path/to/your/root/partition/dev/hda b
3 0' should work. if not, see the manpage.

  moritz
--
/* Moritz Schulte <moritz@hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de>
 * http://hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de/~moritz/