Re: X won't start

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 12:31:43PM -0600, Ray Percival wrote:
> Just installed 2.2 when it boots it looks like xfs and xdm both start up. When I type startx I get.
> x: exec of /usr/bin/x11/xf86_svfg failed. I used xf86config to build a config file this is a Diamond Viper 770 and I used the card definition that came with x. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Ray

xdm starts?  It must not be starting comletely as it starts X itself.  Try
disabling xdm by either uninstalling it (preffered) or doing a
"/etc/init.d/xdm stop" and then a "update-rc.d -f xdm remove" (I think,
please read the manpage first).  Then try to startx.  Maybe you will get
different error messages?

Do you have the svga xserver installed?  I assume so because it should have
said "file not found" if you didn't...