Re: installing gdm

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Robin Faichney wrote:

> I have Debian 2.2, and would like to substitute gdm for xdm.
>
> I'm a recent convert to Debian, and not entirely at ease with the
> package management utilities.  Using dselect, and selecting gdm, I'm
> told that it conflicts with xdm which will therefore be removed. But
> task-x-window-system depends on xdm, so that will be uninstalled too,
> which is obviously not what's wanted.  I tried to force it not to
> remove task-* by hitting Q instead of <return> in the dependencies
> list, but that seemed to have no effect.  How can I get gdm properly
> installed?

There is no problem removing task-x-window-systems. It is only a so called
meta-package, "containig" only dependencies to other packages, so that
they get installed. After removing it installing gdm should be no problem.

Martin

--
If windows is the answer, it must have been a stupid question.

For public PGP-key: finger fluch@rock.helsinki.fi