Re: Debian VS. Red Hat

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, John L . Fjellstad wrote:
> Well, if you want stability and security, having used both, I must say,
> both are pretty much the same.  I still aren't convinced that Debian
> is somehow more stable than Redhat.  Doesn't make sense.  Enlightenment
> 0.16.3 doesn't magically become more stable because you installed it on
> Debian as opposed to Redhat.  Software doesn't work that way, sorry.

Hmmm, well, ya... if all was identical between RedHat and Debian.
They may use software with the same name, but not necessarily: the same
versions, compilation options, combinations of packages, or tweaks.

There are more than enough openings for one distro to be more stable
than the other, but it may only show up in specific area(s) depending
on the skill (or lack of skill) of the distros maintainers for that area
of the software map.

I'd take any sweeping generalization as to the stability of a distro
with a grain of salt, especially when I don't know if the one doing
the reporting has longtime and wide ranging experience with a number of
distributions on various hardware combinations.

later,

	Bruce