RE: hdparm

Well you would have to try some combinations before the optimum
settings can be found..do this by changing one of the settings and
testing the performance using hdparm -t /dev/hda....the higher the
value, the better the performance...however, if you are using one of
several m/b (the one which I am using is Asus P5A-B), DO NOT enable
dma (i.e. -d1) as it will screw up you hardisk i.e. "corrupt" files
on the hardisk (I noticed these files were mainly in the /
partition). Use the kernel-patch-ide.....deb instead to patch the
kernel and enable dma support...(I successfully did this last
night)...

Also note that not all the parameters set will bring on performance
gains for the hardisk e.g setting -mX on my box did not bring on any
performace gains and in some cases, enabling -c1 detiorated
performance!!!!

HTH

Patrick Cheong
Information Systems Assurance