Re: no ping

From: http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue55/stoddard.html

Before you save and close the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file, we want to keep
the system from responding to ICMP requests, such as ping
and traceroute, so we add the following lines right after the #!/bin/sh
line:

    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies

hth,
kent

"Neurosis is the way of avoiding non-being by avoiding being."
- Paul Tillich, American theologian (1886-1965).