dselect error

I believe I have a slink base system installed and functioning well but
have not been successful installing X.      Attempts to run dselect from
cdrom or internet result in the
followin error:
          running dpkg - pending-configure...
         dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libncurses4:

         libncurses4 depends on libc6 (>=2.0.7u-6);however;version of
libc6 on system is 2.0.7t-1.
        dpkg:error processing libncurses4 (--configure):dependency
problems - leaving unconfigured.
        Errors were encountered while processing libncurses4.
       dpkg -- configure returned error exit status 1.

How can I find the package  with the proper version of libc6?
Can I download and install that package using apt-get without screwing
up the existing installation using the old libc6??
What is the smoothest (cleanest) way to install X ???    Thanks for any
help!!