Re: Family proofing a Debian box

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 10:00:04AM -0500, Bryan K. Walton wrote:
:This is a general question for the list.  I have a computer at home that I want to make availble for the family to use.  However I want to try and ensure that they won't be able to do anything that could cause damage to the OS.  What is the list's thoughts regarding what should I make sure is off-limits to the users.  If they don't have root, are there things that I should make off-limits that might not be on a stock Debian 2.2 system?

If they're not actively trying to exceed their permissions...

The worst they can do is hit the power button (you can easily
disconnect this internaly on most modern computers)

The second worst thing is that they can take up all the space in
/home.  You can implement quatas or make a separate partition for
/home/mp3-loving-relative.

If they are trying to get root an have physical access to the box for
get about it, one floppy will get me root on any x86 Linux box I have
physial access to.

-Jon

--
# include <legit_use.h>

As a sysadmin in an environment where users have root on their
workstations, they can change the root password and then graduate
leaving behind a box noone has root on.