Re: Debian 2.2 or woody

On Sun, Sep 10, 2000 at 12:41:43PM +0200, Julio Merino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to install a new debian system at home (as I commented in
> some other messages)... but I'm now wondering if installing the 2.2 or
> woody version...

I can't give you a definitive answer since I've only been using Debian
since potato came out.  But I've converted my home machine from RH to
Debian and have needed to upgrade a few things beyond potato to get some
important (to me) features that aren't in the potato versions of some
apps.

The reason to use potato is stability.  You know that the system has
been tested as a whole, not just as an assortment of apps.  If you keep
up with the updates then the system should actually get more stable
with time.  If you don't value that, go ahead and use woody all over but
you know that'll be a constantly shifting surface to stand on.  You
don't lose out on the security front by using potato since the Debian
maintainers back-propagate security/bug fixes.

So far I've had no problems with the bits I've added from woody, though
I've been compiling from the source packages.  Compiling from source not
only lets me do any personal config I need but also avoids the problems
that would be caused by a binary compiled on a woody system with minor
differences in set-up to a potato system.  And if there were a major
incompatibility, the compilation process will fail meaningfully, in a
way that tells me what I might do to fix it.  The binary would likely
just core dump.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.