Re: [SLU] .tar [Rookie question]

Shel Johnson <cachemonet@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I want to update Netscape Communicator to 4.75.. I've downloaded the
> .tar.gz file.. I ran the tar command that extracted the files
> [thinking it
> would be like an .exe file in Mr Gate's OS].. My question is: what do
> I do next??...

You forget that download and fetch Netscape correctly using apt-get
install. On the command line do 'apt-get update' then, when that has
finished, do 'apt-get install communicator' and after a while you will
have Netscape Communicator installed on your system.

Always check for a Debian version of any software you want - only use a
tar.gz version if you absolutely must or need to.

--
Phillip Deackes
Using Storm Linux