Re: Family proofing a Debian box

"Bryan K. Walton" <walton@berbee.com> writes:

> If they don't have root, are there things that I should make
> off-limits that might not be on a stock Debian 2.2 system?

I don't know how technically sophisticated your family is but I assume
that your sister is not a cracker and your father not a
Unix-guru. Denying them root access should be fully sufficient.  This
works fine with my family at least - everyone has his/her own account
and may play at will.

Even if they were root they wouldn't know how to damage something. :-)

Anyways _if_ you'd like to have a fully secure system you'd have to
think about preventing them from physically accessing the system which
you are unlikely to have done.  If they can turn off the machine they
could damage the file system for example.

Christoph