Re: "Joe" editor

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 08:27:38PM +0200, staf wagemakers wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 10:40:43AM +0300, Adrian Nims wrote:
> > The command "apt-get install joe" gave me the follwing answer:
> >
> > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > E: Couldn't find package joe
> >
> > What can I do next ?

The "joe" editor  seems to be rather popular,  specially
amongst people for whom wordstar keys have got ingrained
in their genes.

There is another editor called w3, which was introduced
to me by some-one on this list. The URL is :

http://www.sax.de/~adlibit/e3-0.7.tar.gz [82338 bytes]

Have been using it for about 2 weeks now. EXCELLENT !!
Just 4912 bytes long binary, written fully in assembly
(nasm). Fully GPL (with source code). It is 100%  Word
Star (non-document) mode clone. Has auto-left align as
well (remember TurboPascal 3 ?). It's block operations
search and other facilities are superior to joe.

It is definitely not a replacement for emacs / vi, but
if wordstar compatibility is what you are looking for,
this rivals "joe" any day.

If an editor for rescue disks is what is you need,look
no further. THIS IS IT. It would be  difficult to find
a smaller one with all facilites expected of an editor.

USM Bish

PS: Binary tarball with man (6080 bytes)! Private mail
    only.