Re: pppd changes permission to /dev/ttyS1 (my modem)

Quoting USM Bish (bish@nde.vsnl.net.in):

> Owner, group and permissions for the modem  on my system
> is the default installed by debian. Incidentally, debian
> developers are very commited and mature and surely would
> not goof up on these small aspects.
>
> The default setup is:
>
> crw-r-----   1 root     dialout    4,  64 Sep  6 11:20 /dev/ttyS0

I think not. Here are som permissions on a machine that had potato
installed on, yes, May 5th, and has no use for the serial ports:

$ ls -l /dev/ttyS* /dev/psaux
crw-------    1 root     root      10,   1 May  5 22:48 /dev/psaux
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 May  5 22:48 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  65 May  5 22:48 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  66 May  5 22:48 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  67 May  5 22:48 /dev/ttyS3
$ ls -lu /dev/ttyS* /dev/psaux
crw-------    1 root     root      10,   1 Sep  8 14:12 /dev/psaux
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  64 May  5 22:48 /dev/ttyS0
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  65 May  5 22:48 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  66 May  5 22:48 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw----    1 root     dialout    4,  67 May  5 22:48 /dev/ttyS3

> This works perfectly fine for me.  This has been the set
> up for all Linux boxes/ distros  that I have used in the
> last four years+. No failures.

Well of course it will work if you're running it as root. That's not
the point. What's more important is the *least* privilege required
to make it work.

> I enable user-dial through a program called "sudo". Give
> it a try. For a stand-alone machine, you could dial with
> root privileges easily with "su", and  "sudo" may not be
> needed at all.

Bad Thing.

Cheers,