Python License Headaches

Hai,

Lately the Python language suffered from a change in the license that is
deemed incompatible with the GPL by RMS himself!

Quoting Guido van Rossum in news:comp.lang.python:

> There's one bit of sad news: according to Richard Stallman, this
> version is no more compatible with the GPL than version 1.6 that was
> released this morning by CNRI, because of a technicality concerning
> the choice of law provision in the CNRI license.  Because 2.0b1 has to
> be considered a derivative work of 1.6, this technicality in the CNRI
> license applies to 2.0 too (and to any other derivative works of 1.6).
> CNRI is still trying to work this out with Stallman, so I hope that we
> will be able to release future versions of Python under a
> GPL-compatible license.

In other postings one is adviced to vent concers in this matter directly
to CNRI and FSF, so as to urge them to resolve the matter.

Now that some debian projects use python, I think it would make sence to
'vent our concerns' to them as the debian project. I'm a mere user:), so
I don't qualify to mail them on behalve of the debian project. I'm posting
here hoping that some debian developer will take this upon him.

--
groetjes, carel