pppconfig issues

I know Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will my Debian machine.....

Now that I've finally got my modem working, I've run pppconfig (v1.1) plugged in all the values I could (the IP numbers are server assigned so I don't know them and left them blank). When I use the 'pon' command, the computer dials my ISP and hangs up. The log file says ALARM, then EXIT.

What's it doing, and how can I fix it?

The Linux community has been wonderfully helpful. I'm doing all this for $20.00 bucks. I don't know of a college course that cheap!

Thanks,

Richard P. Acuti