Re: Staring Gnome ???

At 10:52 AM 9/7/2000 +0100, Glyn Millington wrote:

>Greetings!   I'm running Debian 2.2, kernel 2.2.17.  And I can't
>start Gnome!  I'm starting X from the command line (startx) and
>have tried
>exec gnome-session
>in my .xinitrc and even in an .Xsession file, but all I get in
>reposne is an X stuck at the corss-hatched screen and when I
>Ctrl-Alt-BckSpc a little message saying
>
>/dev/dsp  no such device
>
>Well there is SOMETHING in /dev/called dsp.......
>
>Can anyone shed some light on this?

i believe the dsp is the digital sound processor
can you log an as root?

have you added your user to the "audio" group?

WARNING -
This email is confidential and may contain copyright material.
If you are not the intended recipient of Capital Monitor's original e-mail,
please notify me by return e-mail, delete your copy of the message, and
accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Republication or re-dissemination, including posting to news groups or web
pages, is strictly prohibited without the express prior consent of Capital
Monitor Pty Ltd.

John Griffiths			Tel 02 6273 4899
Capital Monitor Pty Ltd		Fax 02 6273 4905
Press Gallery 			Mobile: 0412 690 643
Parliament House		e-mail: john@capmon.com
Canberra   ACT   2600		http://www.capmon.com
Australia			ICQ No: 7933859