How to use libhtml-embperl-perl as cgi

[also sent to prior Debian maintainer in case he can answer in 30 seconds!]

I have installed the libhtml-embperl-perl package, and I'm trying
to get some perl commands within [+ brackets +] in html files to
be processed (first as cgi, then perhaps using mod-perl).

After simply installing the package, the embperl brackets get
passed on as text as output in the HTML, so the preprocessor
isn't invoked by default.

The HTML::Embperl man page says to copy embpcgi.pl to the
cgi-bin directory.  I've done this.  Then it says:

 If you are running the Apache httpd, you can also define
 embpcgi.pl as a handler for a specific file extention or
 directory.

       Example of Apache srm.conf:

           <Directory /path/to/your/html/docs>
           Action text/html /cgi-bin/embperl/embpcgi.pl
           </Directory>

So I tried variants of this but when I restart apache I get the
error:

 Invalid command 'Action', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a

Reconfiguring apache doesn't help (although I note it hasn't
detected that I have mod_perl installed).

Any help appreciated,
Peter