Re: Error compiling kernel

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 09:46:06PM -0700, thus spake Gutierrez Family:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I tried to re-compile the kernel (to include generic SCSI support for my scanner) and ran into problems.  Here's what I did - as far as I can remember (following the instructions in the README file found in the kernel source directory):

Only been on Debian for a week, but here goes - just wanted to
point to some helpful docs etc

In the /usr/share/doc/kernel-package directory there should be
a README file which tells you which packages you need to compile
a kernel in the Debian manner - it's a terrific system.

There are further useful docs in the directory produced when you
untar the source-code - especialy look for a file "modules" which
explains in some detail how to build them in.

On the debian website, at the end of the Installation
Instructions for Intel x86 there is a good short guide to
kernel-compiling - I found it a great help.

HTH

Glyn M.

       * "The soul is greater than the hum of its parts. "  *
       *                 Douglas Hoftstatder                *