best way to install debian in VMware VM

I did the floppies thing, and switching out floppies, even vmware point
and click floppy change, sucks.

now my install disk is hosed (didn't shutdown often enough) and I am
more interested in the learning experience of installing debian in a
different way than to save the current install.

I would like to know of an alternate way to download and install debian
in an alternate way. I am thinking of booting off floppy and downloading
base_2.2.tgz. would that work? is there a way to get a CD image to mount
in vmware or otherwise?

Thanks!

Mark

--