Re: Grainy Gnome

> I'm not sure what's causing this but my X settings looks grainy on Gnome
(using
> Sawmill for wm).  To be check if helix-gnome is supposed to look grainy I
> booted to Win2K and went to helixcode's website.  There I saw what helix gnome
> is really supposed to look and I like what I saw.  So my question is:

> How can I remove the grainyness out of my X install?

> I have 2.2 and installed helix-gnome from spidermonkey .deb files and I have a
> 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X vidcard with 8MB ram and using 1024x768 res and 32 bpp.

> My resolution is no problem it's only this grainy texture that bothers me.

It sounds like you're not actually running at 32 bpp. If I remember correctly,
there is a file in /proc that lists the X-server specs. It should have the bpp
you're actually running (assuming X is running at the time).

Or, you could simply comment all lines out of your /etc/X11/XF86Config that
refer to other bit depths (8, 15, 16, 24), then, restart X! There is also a
command line flag for "startx" to pass the bpp but I don't remember that off
hand either (soemthing like "start --bpp 16"). Do a "man startx". The "startx"
assumes you don't use a gradical display manager to login (xdm, kdm, gdm).

Scott