Update Debian Slink->Potato: Problems with Soundblaster AWE64 and kernel 2.2.x

Hallo!

I have a weird problem with Debian 2.2:

Since I updated my system from Debian 2.1 to Debian 2.2, sound doesn't
work anymore.

- Debian 2.1: Sound is fully functional with kernel 2.0.x and kernel
2.2.x (I tested one of my backups to make sure).
- Update to Debian 2.2: Sound through /dev/dsp doesn't work (tested with
kernel 2.2.x). Sound from CD or TV and awe_wave is OK.
- Because of some other reasons I installed a new system based on Debian
2.2: Sound through /dev/dsp doesn't work. Sound from CD or TV and
awe_wave is OK.

Known problems:

- isapnp is unable zu find my soundcard with the old isapnp.conf
(readport 0x274). I had to reassign the readport entry (now it's 0x273)
in isapnp.conf. :-(

- After rewriting the isapnp configuration: Now the initialisation by
isapnp is ok. But the Soundblaster module tries to tell me that it has a
problem with an IRQ conflict on IRQ  . That is the parallel port. Until
now was I'm unable to assign the original IRQ 5 to the soundblaster
module. I tried several variations for the options in modules.conf. :-(

- And now, here comes the best of it all: Yesterday I tried
kernel-2.4.0-test7. It worked. /dev/dsp is OK. I compiled the sound into
the kernel.

Thanks in advance

Berthold Cogel