Re: TCP/IP Receive Window

Paul McHale wrote:

> I just had DSL installed and was told to adjust the DefaultReceiveWindow in
> the windows registry.  This dramatically improved performance.  To be clear,
> my understanding of the setting is this.  It defines the amount of data
> which can be sent before an ACK must be received.

for some reason win9x is not tweaked by default for networks, this kind
of adjustments is not required(or needed) in linux.

default linux 2.2 settings for defaultrecieve window is 65535

you can tweak it all you like but i suggest keeping it as it is unless
you are having problems, i have setup many linux boxes on dsl
connections and they all absolutly SCREAM.

look at /proc/sys/net/core

each of the files in there stores a setting, you can change it by:

echo "some updated setting" >filename

changes will take effect right away(no reboot required!) you can also
look at the configuration in /proc/sys/net/ipv4

if you want more info on how to tune network subsystems on various OSs
check this page out:

http://www.psc.edu/networking/perf_tune.html

hth

nate