Re: compiling a kernel

On Tue, 05 Sep 2000, Mark Simos wrote:
> I am a newbie, and am curious as to what exactly compiling a kernel does
> for me.
>
> I have some vague impression that it does something like make your OS
> run better on your machine or allow you to add in and remove support for
> stuff.
>
> Simply put, why?
>
> Any pointer to good documents or personal commentary is appreciated.

You can select services that might not be offered by the default
kernel, such as sound support.  It makes you boot time shorter if you
trim out what you don't need.  You can pick your cpu type which
should optimize things a bit.

Install the kernel source and kernel packages.  Read the docs there if
you decide to compile.
hth,
kent