help with compiling qt examples?

Hello all,

I recently apt-got libqt2, libqt2-dev, qt2-doc, my interest was sparked with
the soon to be released GPLed free version announcement.  Any way, I'm having
trouble compiling the examples that come with qt2-doc.  Here is the error
I get

	g++ -L/usr/lib/qt2/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib  -o aclock aclock.o main.o
	moc_aclock.o -lqt -lXext -lX11 -lm  -L/usr/lib -lz -lpng
	/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
	collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
	make: *** [aclock] Error 1

hmm  -lz, zlib, right?  I have it installed.

	dpkg -s zlib1g
	Package: zlib1g

Am I missing something?  BTW, I'm running potato.

Also, I noticed that there isn't a .deb of PyQt, the python bindings to Qt.
Is there a reason why, or no one has done it yet?

Thanks (much), in advance,

-rob