Re: downloading debian GNU/Linux 2.2

Kris Murray wrote:

> To the List;
>
> My name is Kris Murray. I am interested in downloading this Linux OS.
> However, I have some questions and concerns.
>
> 1. To download it, do I have to ftp the entire OS from the ftp site to my
> hard drive? Or can I just download an installation program that will take
> care of downloading each individual file? If I need to ftp the files, which
> ones?

Go to
ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/2.2.16-2000-07-14/images-1.44/

Get all base*, recue*, root*, driver*
(assuming you have a PC intel, normal 1.44 floppy drive) Using CA since US is always
full.
This will install a base system, with apt-get, dselect, etc (internet connection)
Also you will need to read
ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/2.2.16-2000-07-14/README.txt

and the tools from
ftp://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/tools/
if you are using windows or msdos

> 2. After I download it, what do I do? I read on the website that I can boot
> from floppies or my CD-Rom. But I don't think that is for downloading. What
> exactly am I supposed to do to initialize and start up the OS?

With the above the system itself will guide you through to continue installation over
the net.
This is the way that I have gotten mine the last two times, before I made my own cds

> 3. I also read on the website that installing Linux might wipe out some of
> my other files. How frequent is this? Is this something that I should be
> concerned about? And if so, what is the scope of the files that it will wipe
> out? I have a whole partitioned drive dedicated to Linux. Will other drives
> be affected?

The best is to dedicate a whole hard disk to Debian, if youy can...