Patching The Kernel

Nobody here answered my question about using kernel-patch .deb files, so
I'm going to answer myself.  This way, anybody searching the list
archives will at least gain a little info and maybe get over this hump
more quickly than me.  I have had a separate email exchange with Manoj
Srivastava, the author of the kernel-package docs, that got me through
my difficulties.

If you have compiled a kernel before installing the patch package, it is
likely you will have no problem.  The difficulty seems to arise if, like
me, you install the kernel-source package and immediately install the
kernel-patch package.  You need to then either set an ENV variable or
add a line to /etc/kernel-pkg.conf:  patch_the_kernel := YES.  At that
point you should be able to do something like:

make-kpkg --config xconfig --revision=3:1.epting-idedma.1 kernel_image

However, in my case this failed because I lacked an existing .config
file in /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2..17.  My simple-minded solution was
to do a make-kpkg clean, then xconfig, change a few things, save and
exit.  Then the big command above correctly applied the patch, executed
make xconfig (allowing me to set up the new options provided by the ide
patches) and then proceeded correctly to make a kernel-image .deb.

And now I have udma working with my ASUS P5A/ALi 1541 chipset.