Re: sound card support? - intel SE440BX-2 onboard yamaha

Hello,

> I have the Intel SE440BK-2 motherboard with the onboard yamaha sound
> chpiset. I haven't managed to get it to work with linux.
> Does anyone have any expirience with getting this onboad sound card to
> work with linux, or has any idea where to start?

Yes it works but you need OSS (non-free, no source) sound drivers
or, since a few months now, the new ALSA drivers (version 0.5.8+, the
one in ___woody___).
I have the exact same motherboard and the drivers included in the standard
kernel don't work... :(

I like better the last option (ALSA), even if it needs a compiling the
modules if you don't use one of the precompiled kernels.

If you are running kernels 2.2.13/14 you have a binary .deb
available,
  alsa-modules-2.2.*
Last time I checked a 2.2.17 version was not available.
You also need (from woody)
alsa-base_0.5.8+
alsa-utils_0.5.8+
alsa-conf_0.4+

If you want/need to compile the modules grab alsa-source_0.5.8+ (remember
to enable the OSS compatibility layer though)

Hope it helps, rgds,
Ariel