Re: You are a Linux Guru!

----- Original Message -----
From: John Foster <jfoster@augustmail.com>
To: Previ <previpc@yahoo.com>
Cc: Debian GNU/Linux User <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2000 10:56 AM
Subject: Re: You are a Linux Guru!

.

> > "Debian is one of the roughest Linux Distributions to install,
> > and that's why anyone who has managed to configure and
> > install Debian is considered to be a Linux guru"

First of all the above statement is made by some one who only know
Debian  by hearsay and it is certain that s/he did not even attempted
an installation.
> Not So! The problems with installation are very overstated and often the
> laments of beginners. Alas, we all have to start somewhere!Perhaps it
> would be best if they started with the instructions.

In fact I think the debian has the right installation method. First install
and get the base system up and running then build on it with specific
requirements.

Now a days a lot of people own PCs. Anybody
who own a PC automatically becomes a Sysadmin too.
It is a common practice to lament about the performance problems
of PC with  UDMA66 capable disk hardware driven by a PIO mode
driver just because OS installtion utility people considered it a fail
safe method.

> I have been a Linux fan since it first became  available. There were no
> real applications then, only the base system. I can tell you simply...if
> you are not 100% certain what type of hardware you are using...and
> exactly what it's specifications and requirements are: you will have
> problems. Pretty much the same with using any piece of equipment.
> If you think Linux is difficult, try getting Windows 2000 server running
> using dedicated DSL network connections.. :-)

You mean Win2k doesn't have support for DSL hardware?

> Even harder: try finding support for installing it that is equal to the
>level of support available for Linux!

You mean the support available from people all over the world who
considers Linux as part of their life, and hence more dedication
 compared to MicroSoft support people who considers the
Win2k support they provide as part of job?

> There are indeed Linux Guru's... in fact we owe to them the existence of
> the myrid GNU applications, Debian, RedHat, Helix, Gnome, KDE, Apache,
> Perl...need I continue?

I Disagree. All the above people except RedHat are in areas that have
their own identity and they hardly have to be Linux Gurus to excel in those
areas. Even Debian is not tied to Linux. AFAIK they have a
beta version of Debian GNU/Hurd on their server for download.
But I do get your point.

I think RedHat is doing MicroSofty business. They  seem to
care more about business than Linux

>My point is this, the term Guru is accepted
> worldwide to mean someone who is an inovator, a teacher, the master of a
> skill...not simply a person who can "manage" to function properly.

I do agree. But like the misused/abused Hacker, Guru also sometimes
become a casuality in the insane world of media.

The best thing about Linux like projects is that the people behind
it cared to spare some time to write execellent documentation.

Try find the word mime in Win98 help, you would not find it .
But you will get a clear description of it from projects like
KDE and GNOME whose docs are nowhere even near
beta stage!

Previ