Re: sound errors on 2.2.14->2.2.17 ??

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 10:56:38AM -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> I just moved from 2.2.14 to 2.2.17pre6.  Additionally, I recompiled the new
> ALSA driver for my card (which I don't believe is part of the problem, but
> thought it should be mentioned).  My system is Woody, updated about 2 weeks
> ago, and the ALSA driver is current Woody.
>
> On rebooting, I immediately tried cdplay to test the sound driver, and got
> the following error:
>
> daddy:~# cdplay
[snip]
> cdplay: ioctl cdromplaytrkind
>
> Using Gnome's player works, however.  Does anyone know what the source of
> this is??  Could it be the ATAPI driver for the new kernel or cdplay??
> Rebooting using the old kernel gives a working cdplay.
>
> TIA,
>
> Kenward

The technical explanation is that there are 2 ways to play an audio CD
on Linux.  One is the CDROMPLAYTRKIND ioctl and one is the CDROMPLAYMSF
ioctl.  The former seems to be broken in some (cdrom) drivers these
days.  I don't know why.  The glib explanation is "don't use cdplay
then."

However, you shouldn't try to play audio CDs as a test of your sound
setup.  When you play an audio CD, it doesn't seem to use the kernel
sound drivers.  You should test using a .wav or .au file instead.

Cheers,
Chris