Re: pppd changes permission to /dev/ttyS1 (my modem)

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, David Wright wrote:

> Quoting Mario Olimpio de Menezes (mario@curiango.ipen.br):
> > On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Piotr Krukowiecki wrote:
> > >
> > > pppd removes g+w from /dev/ttyS1 after it is started. So next time I have
> > > to be root to use my modem (and to connect to internet). How to make pppd
> > > stop removing it ?
> >

> > better: add users that need to use modem to dialout group;
> > # adduser user dialout
>
> Wrong. That would allow all those users to snoop on each other's
> ppp connections, since they get read-access to the modem port.
>
> The correct group is dip.

u r right! I'm on my work computer running linux and I have
ethernet connection; I tried from memory but that failed :-((

thanks any way

[]s,
Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
    IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21
                   http://www.revistalinux.com.br