X and fonts

Some of these questions were probably discussed earlier, thus it would
be enough (I hope) if someone would tell me where to look for the
answerers.
Where and how can I set up the fonts under X? I finally managed to
make xterm use a little bigger fonts than the usual ones, but when I
start some other consol applications (namely the fte editor) it uses
the default little fonts again (maybe I screwed up something :o).
I think that I am missing the general idea about the fonts. Can
someone help me with that?

And out of curiosity: what are the really necessary files
(packages???) to run X?

Attila